How to Separate THC from CBD
CBD isolation is a key process in hemp remediation. There are many different techniques and alternatives to separations. Separating THC and CBD using different types of chromatography, liquid-liquid extraction, and degradation have been widely investigated. Chromatography has experienced widespread adoption as the leading CBD isolation method.
CBD Isolation from Hemp
CBD Manufacturing is a growing industry worldwide and it is important for manufacturers to meet facility, equipment, process, and training quality standards.
These standards are collectively known as good manufacturing practices (GMP) or good production practices (GPP) and are administered by the Food and Drug Administration through an inspection program.
The CBD isolation process is a fairly complex series of steps requiring attention to engineering and quality management. We have installed equipment and trained hundreds of companies to produce isolate.
How Does CBD Isolation Work?
- CBD isolation from hemp is an important manufacturing process that is used to make CBD isolate, or CBD crystal.
- CBD isolate is a purified form of hemp and is derived from industrial hemp.
- CBD isolation can also take the form of broad spectrum distillate which is a distillate without any detectable THC.
- CBD isolate manufacturing involves two different potential techniques:
- The first technique is chromatography which separates out the CBD from the THC while maintaining the phytonutrients, terpenes, pigments, and natural plant components that are thought to contribute to the “Entourage Effect.”
- The second CBD isolate manufacturing technique involves crashing out the CBD from the matrix to produce a CBD crystal.
The CBD crystal is typically washed and dried so it is also THC free but does not contain the phytonutrients, pigments and terpenes.
pure99 THC Remediation Machine
We have the perfect equipment for separating CBD from THC, and we make it easy for you to scale your operations while keeping your operating costs at a minimum.
CBD Isolate Manufacturing Process
CBD isolate manufacturer is a specialized and technical process that fits within the overall hemp manufacturing process.
The process involves:
- Growing quality hemp flower biomass that has less than 0.3% THC.
- Harvesting and drying the flower so that it can be extracted.
- Grinding of the hemp to 200-300 microns.
- Decarboxylating the hemp to activate the CBD.
- Supercritical CO2 extraction of the hemp to produce CBD extract.
- Dewaxing and winterization of the extract to make hemp oil.
- Solvent removal from the winterized CBD oil extract.
- Refining of the hemp into CBD distillate
- Production of CBD isolate by making CBD crystal
- Chromatography for high purity broad spectrum distillate.
Process typically requires a specialized facility and specialized equipment with trained operators.
This equipment includes grinders, dryers, extractors, filtration equipment, distillation machines, falling film evaporators, and of course, chromatography equipment.
CBD Isolation Machine
There are many different kinds of CBD isolate machines using different kinds of chromatography. These machines include different chromatography machines that are designed to execute different methods of separation.
Some examples of equipment include the following:
- Flash Column Chromatography (solvents)
- Counter Current Chromatography (liquid-liquid extraction, lle)
- Centrifugal Partition Chromatography (liquid-liquid extraction)
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (solvents)
- Thin Layer Chromatography
- Solid Phase Extraction Column
- Stirred Reactors
CBD Crystal Isolate Production Machines Using Stirred Reactors
extraktLAB produces several different kinds of CBD crystal isolate production machines. The first kind of machine is an assembly of stirred, jacketed glass reactors and pumps that are assembled into an automated machine.
Stirred jacketed reactors are used around the world as reaction vessels that enable phase separation, controlled heating and cooling, and the process itself is easily automated so that crystallization can take place quickly and efficiently.
Broad Spectrum Production Machine
The second type of machine that we produce is a high-performance liquid chromatography machine. The high-performance liquid chromatography equipment uses a stationary phase that is in the form of particles that are packed into a column. The sample is pumped over the column and a separation of THC and CBD takes place. We do not use a solvent gradient unless we are cleaning the column.
CBD Isolation Methods
CBD isolation methods define the equipment, the solvent or combination of solvents to be used for extraction.
Typically the method is defined and then is tested for repeatability, robustness, reproductive capability, accuracy, precision, yield, and optionally linearity. These validation studies are critical for understanding the validity of the results using the method that has been defined by the manufacturing organization.
Isolation methods also define critical method variables such as:
- Process temperature
- Reaction time
- Temperature, solvent gradient conditions, and time
- Sample condition
- Sample concentration
- Sample volume
- Flow rate
- Detection parameters.
CBD Crystallization as a Method of CBD Isolation for Sample Preparation
Crystallization of CBD is a key step in CBD isolation. One popular way to prepare a sample for separation involves crashing out the CBD into CBD crystals.
The process involves first crashing out the CBD to make crystals and washing those crystals to remove excess matrix and any lingering THC. This will give a white powder of roughly 90% purity.
The next step in the process is to concentrate the matrix by removing the solvent so that it can be injected on the chromatography column. The chromatography in this case is tuned to remove THC from the remaining CBD that is left in the supernatant.
The recovered matrix and CBD is then added back to the CBD crystals. In this way high recovery is assured and the plant matrix is preserved.
Due to the high level of processing, CBD isolate is not considered organic nor can it be certified organic. However, broad spectrum distillate can certainly be made organically and labeled organic.
extraktLAB is the designer and producer of many different types of equipment for hemp processing and hemp extraction. We also produce CBD isolation machines specifically designed for CBD isolate manufacturing. This THC remediation equipment is called the pure99.
At extraktLAB, we help many operators implement equipment and workflows that enable their operations to manufacture CBD isolate and CBD broad-spectrum oils.
Calculate Your Botanical Business Operating Cost
Starting a Botanical Extraction Business? Check out our Calculators and to analyse costs, estimated revenue, yield, initial investments and important metrics for your extraction business.